Writing the main body of an essay requires clearly presenting your arguments and supporting them with evidence or explaining your reasoning. That is why writing a strong conclusion for an essay may be one of the most challenging aspects in an essay. The reason is that this section has not only to synthesize all the content very efficiently and extract the most meaningful information, but also to present it in a larger perspective.
Another big question and challenge is how to write a conclusion for an essay in ways that would leave a powerful impression on readers, encouraging better memorizing. Thoughtful exploration/internalization of your message and even creation of an emotional connection with it are equally significant. Every author should leave readers with some thoughts after reading a conclusion. All these are attributes of powerful concluding sections which can greatly enhance essay’s value and overall impression. This also sums up the importance of writing a high-quality conclusion in any paper.
Key Aspects of Conclusion
A conclusion paragraph is typically characterized by some key aspects and should:
- Restate the thesis and main points. Since a thesis contains the chief claim made in an essay, by the end of it, this claim should be revisited and its validity confirmed through the prism of all evidence/content provided. Besides the thesis, key findings/arguments/ideas should be mentioned, especially those which are covered in detail or which are used for making connections, generalizations, etc.
- Contain no new evidence or new ideas. These should be found in other sections – conclusions are for synthesizing already presented information. Same is true about references – they are normally inappropriate in conclusions since they are associated with new evidence.
- Be short. Typically, conclusions should not exceed 10% of the total word count and shouldn’t be too short either. Otherwise, it fails at covering important aspects and delivering the desired message.
Conclusion does not have a fixed structure but may normally be expected to include one of the following elements/parts:
- part where thesis is restated – this part is very unlikely to be missing from any conclusion for an essay, although it could be heavily paraphrased, generalized, or broadened. Unlike thesis itself, this restatement could be expanded to several sentences.
- write very brief summary of main points presented in the introduction/main body.
- an interpretation of implications, significance, connections, the context of the topic, idea, research, etc. – all these elements offer a perspective over your content.
- suggestions regarding directions in which the topic/research or knowledge field should be expanded or ways in which described problems could be solved.
Strategies Applicable When Writing a Conclusion
When writing conclusions (especially when getting stuck), it might be useful to remember and apply a few strategies/ principles:
- Revisit the introduction. Your conclusion should be “synchronized” with other essay sections. The introduction, being a section which contains the thesis, research questions, motivation, purpose, topic significance, etc. is a vital section to establish connections with. Rereading it might pinpoint elements that would be worth restating/expanding in order to “close the loop” and create an understanding/ impression that you arrived where you anticipated and that your entire writing effort was effective and in line with directions set initially.
- After listing each major finding derived from the essay’s body, always ask yourself how these findings are relevant to this knowledge field or to target readers. This will direct you towards analysing implications, significance, towards making connections with other important topics/areas and describing/explaining context, and towards sharing expectations, insights, future visions, etc. - all of these place your work into a broader context.
- State future research directions or solutions to problems described. The first is almost always a valid option for any research-related writing. Advancing bold but realistic ideas is a good way to conclude your essay on a high, inspiring note.
Strategies listed above may be combined. For instance, half of paragraph could be restating and expanding on elements listed in the introduction, while the other half could focus on future research paths.
Some Extra Tips on How to Write a Conclusion
Here are some basic recommendations to consider when you write your essay conclusion:
- while a thesis is an essential element, restating it alone is never sufficient. Neither is providing a content summary/outline. While a few summarizing sentences could be appropriate, much greater focus should be placed on maximally synthesizing information presented earlier (to bring clarity, to put things into perspective, to highlight content significance, etc.). In other words, write in a reflective and generalizing tone.
- conclusion for an essay should be written after you finish working on the main body – this is again, due to its synthesizing function (like an abstract, it draws from multiple content pieces). If significant content revisions are made, conclusions should be adapted accordingly.
- refer to the essay outline. It provides a brief overview/skeleton of your paper, which will be useful in selecting key elements you want to mention or build upon.
- try to make the last paragraph informative, powerful or inspiring. Many evaluators which use to check multiple submissions start analysing essays by reading relatively short abstracts and conclusions first (before proceeding to analyze voluminous content) – hence, even if it sounds somewhat counterintuitive, concluding sections might be vital in creating first impressions.
Examples of Good Conclusions
Here are examples from our expert that you can use as a sample when you wonder how to write a conclusion for an essay.
Although for most people, asthma is a relatively mild nuisance that can be managed effectively with discipline and current medication, there are people for whom this condition might prove debilitating and even life-threatening. In fact, considering death statistics, this disease is among the biggest killers worldwide, and it is even more tragic considering that it affects younger generations predominantly. As if that were not enough, for reasons that we do not even fully understand, asthma is becoming more and more frequent in poor and rich countries alike.
Current therapeutic approaches have done a great deal to provide relief for more than 90% of affected people. However, there are issues related to currently used pharmaceuticals, including lack of responsiveness for patients, resistance developed to these drugs, potential side effects and associated risks, many potentially unknown. New drugs or practices are needed not only to solve these issues but also to be able to prevent and cure asthma, rather than to only treat and manage it. This is why much hope resides in current and future research efforts.
The Big Bang Theory provides a fairly comprehensive and logical model of the universe origin, considering how many unknowns there are and how long back in time this event happened. Except for an initial “blind period”, for which neither the succession of events nor acting physical laws can be deduced, this theory offers a detailed reconstruction of the stages describing cosmos evolution.
Most claims supporting this theory are confirmed by physical laws that govern relationships between energy and matter but also between various atomic and subatomic particles. Moreover, this model is extensively supported by experimental discoveries in astronomy and cosmology and discoveries in physics with regard to elementary particle behaviour. Despite limitations, the Theory succeeds in providing a comprehensive account of the current state of our universe and observed phenomena.
Professional Conclusion Writing Help
Writing a powerful conclusion can be a real challenge – the same is true about writing an introduction, thesis, or abstract. If you happen to wonder how to end an essay, if you are stuck at other phases of your writing project or in case you are simply out of time to do appropriate research for an urgent paper, consider asking for essay help and delegating these tasks to our team of professional writers at Edubirdie. Just place the order, give us detailed instructions and we’ll take care of it for you.