When it comes to “how to write an assignment?” question, every Australian student has their little study tricks, which help achieve best results with less stress and anxiety. Some students believe that success depends on clear scoring rubric with relevant lecture notes. Yet, college professors insist that writing an assignment becomes much easier when correct structure, outline, accurate planning, paragraph analysis, and editing are included to the process. It depends on how well individual prepares for assignment, which is, basically, any written or oral task brought into academic format. With different essay types with specific requirements, there are still classic rules that should be followed. It means that if a student understands them, risks of getting low grades or failing a task decrease.
How can I write an assignment?
In order to write an assignment successfully, follow all guidelines given by your professor. If some information or terms in them are not clear, do not be afraid to clarify with an instructor before making a mistake. Utilize our practical tips as well to succeed with writing. As an option, you may hire a professional assignment provider for help if you got stuck with an outline, not sure in your thesis or just need an expert look at the structure or formatting. We are always here to assist you!
Basic Assignment Writing Structure & Layout
While writing assignments, no matter how complex or specific, always start with page layout, format, and structure rules. Once a good topic is chosen, preliminary research completed, thesis statement prepared, it’s crucial to continue with the paper outline.
Outline - here assignment structure reveals itself in short form, bringing all important points together. Outline helps to structure future assignment, so that ideas are not scattered all over.
Classic assignment format rules require a 5-paragraph structure, unless specified otherwise by college instructor:
Introduction with Thesis Statement. This important part starts with a hook sentence, which aims to catch reader’s attention. It can be either an interesting fact, statistics, assumption or an unusual approach to the subject. Final sentence should be thesis statement, carrying main goal or an argument.
Body Paragraphs. Body section usually takes three paragraphs. All crucial arguments should appear here. Keep with academic writing rule: one idea = one paragraph. It will make paper clear, helping with structural issues. Include proper citation in balance with a personal research, do not rely on outside sources.
Paragraph Planning - success comes to those who carefully plan each essay paragraph. From topic sentences, introducing ideas to correct use of citing and evidence, planning brings proper logic to every writing style.
Linking Paragraphs - most Australian students often receive low grades when college professors give papers for revision, asking for different structure. Usually, problem lies within incorrect paragraphs’ linking. It means that there are no transitions between ideas. If certain idea is introduced, paragraph should contain closing sentence before new argument arrives. For example, if talking about education in rural areas, planning to tell about distance learning further on, link these paragraphs by saying “Another problem with rural education is lack of technical possibility for introduction of distance learning methods.” It helps connect sentences together!
Counter-opinion Paragraph - sometimes assignment format requires inclusion of an opposite opinion. It’s recommended to insert such information in paragraph preceding conclusion. If possible, support counter-information with evidence. Remain unbiased unless needed writing style is argumentative.
Conclusion - final part is as important as introduction because it’s what target audience will remember. Avoid introducing any new ideas when finishing your paper. It includes thesis restated in different words. Remember that conclusion should not become a summary, but condensed statements of central ideas.
Powerful Ending - final sentence is where paper can include personal voice, emotion, call to action or assumption regarding how certain research can be made better. Alternatively, assignment can be finished with a famous quote.
Step-by-Step Assignment Writing Guide
Leaning assignment layout, students often miss planning and preparation as they start writing. It leads to time issues and lack of information in submitted papers. Knowing how to do assignments means not only structure template, but sorting tasks by importance.
- Brainstorm Topics - good work starts with excellent topic, thus, always brainstorm existing topic variants, which are both relevant and unique. Choose something that you know well, inspiring your audience.
- Read Related Material on Subject - knowing what to write about is excellent, yet most tasks need evidence or research methods, therefore, reading related works on subject always helps.
- Plan Paper Outline - when writing any assignment, planning an outline is crucial. Once there’s clear structure, ideas can be sorted by order of importance.
- Do Analysis of Grading Rubric - Once outline structure is ready, check twice with a guideline, ensuring that no instructions are missed. It allows adjusting already existing outline. For example, if initial guidelines ask for 5 examples and your outline has only three, it’s necessary to restructure the outline. Likewise, if an assignment requires opposite arguments, it should be mentioned too.
- Find Suitable Sources First - next step is finding sufficient academic sources, supporting existing ideas. With such an approach, student can make reference to this or that source once necessity comes. While it helps avoid plagiarism issues, written assignment should not turn into total paraphrasing!
- Draft an Outline - Settling all aforementioned concerns, it's the right time to write an outline, including key points, thesis statement, works cited or annotated bibliography.
- Write Down Key Ideas - before you start writing, make a list of important thoughts you have. It will help you begin each body paragraph with a topic sentence. Keep it short and accurate, so leading idea is not understood wrong, especially if task is argumentative or comparative essay.
- Compose Actual Paper - either with a draft or not, this is where one starts writing an actual assignment. Basic pattern for success is: topic sentence - introduction - evidence - analysis - personal voice - conclusion sentence.
- Edit and Proofread - next step is editing paper. It should not be proofreading per se because editing is where one sees what should be left out or explained in deeper terms. There is no need to correct grammar mistakes because such task comes later. Divide attention to assignment structure and logic first. Once ready with editing, begin with grammar check, sentence structure, logic, connection between sentences. If possible, read aloud to hear how it sounds, testing ideas for credibility and confidence.
- Compose Bibliography - some students prefer working with Bibliography while essay is written, yet even then, check to ensure that everything is sorted according to format guidelines. Check that all references mentioned in Works Cited or References page are properly included in your paper.
- Check Formatting Twice - before submitting final assignment, check paper layout, fonts, footnotes, references twice. If there are abstract, keywords or running head, check it for accuracy.
7 Assignment Writing Tips for College Students
In order to know how to make an assignment successful, writing experts recommend using these essay writing tips:
- Start Researching Beforehand - collect information in advance. If writing about recent events, look up newspaper articles, reviews or court reports. If paper asks for specific research methods, look for statistics, actual data, anything serving as reliable scientific evidence.
- Know Your Deadline - base available time and physical resources, depending on deadline given. If task is urgent, proceed with a proper structure, following 5 paragraphs guidelines. If there’s more time available, start with finding topic sources, continuing with paper outline template.
- Ask For Help When Necessary - from writing help-centers available at most universities to personal counselling, ask for essay writing assistance if necessary. There are always open office hours when students can discuss their concerns or ask for clarification on how to do assignments. If you missed the lecture or cannot find a suitable topic, asking for assistance is absolutely normal!
- Use Own "Essay Voice" - remember: successful essay is not the one that has sufficient sources, following every scoring rubric, but a paper representing unique essay voice, where an opinion is stated in clear argumentation. Support ideas by evidence, statistics, but provide personal analysis, assumptions, thoughts that would reveal author’s opinion, especially when reviewing someone else’s work.
- Cite Sources Accurately - this is where most plagiarism-related risks appear as students miss citation rules. Best writing method is referencing all information, which is not your own, while not turning your assignment into paper that simply summarizes already existing works. When using sources, ensure that they fit there for a reason, providing explanation and personal analysis.
- Answer Grading Rubric Questions - ensure that all initial demands are followed. It’s a very often case when even bright students miss certain point and omit it in the paper. For example, if instruction mentions that “several nursing theorists” should be discussed, then focusing on single theorist is incorrect. If paper requires use of literary devices, include all of them.
- Meet the Word Count - It isn’t surprising that with great ideas at hand, students find it challenging keeping assignments short. This is where proofreading helps as it eliminates repetitions or sentences being too long.
Writing an Assignment Has Never Been Easier
Looking for affordable, plagiarism-free help with writing assignments? EduBirdie is an ultimate solution because you can select writers from our extensive list, based on credentials, essay type, subject, and user reviews. Every paper is written from scratch and includes professional editing with unlimited free revisions. Even if task deadline is urgent, it will be handled without delays! Talk to assigned writer directly, staying in control, paying only when you are fully satisfied with the results! Most importantly, it is affordable, just give us a try!